[Dailydrool] posting for Frans in S. Africa - Bravecto / Fluralaner

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Wed Jun 13 00:54:03 PDT 2018

Donna / Frans

Bottom of the web page:
https://us.bravecto.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Jqn8Y3Q2wIVDguRCh15GglGEAAYASAAEgIUzfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also at the bottom of their FAQ page
https://us.bravecto.com/faq

Topical Solution for Dogs: The most common adverse reactions recorded in clinical trials were vomiting, hair loss, diarrhea, lethargy, decreased appetite, and moist dermatitis/rash. Bravecto is not effective against lone star ticks beyond 8 weeks of dosing. For topical use only. Avoid oral ingestion. Use caution in dogs with a history of seizures. Seizures have been reported in dogs receiving fluralaner, even in dogs without a history of seizures.

The brand you're using, if US based would be required by the FDA (would suspect there should be similar for S.Africa) ... required to carry a pamphlet inside the box with disclosure information.

If not in the box ..

https://us.bravecto.com/for-dogs

At that URL, near the top should be light gray "See Prescribing Information:" .. select the "Topical Solution for Dogs" and this will get you a PDF of the document that should be in the box.

It gives you info on how to apply, and near the bottom left of the page (its only 1 page) ...

Precautions:
For topical use only. Avoid oral ingestion. (see Animal Safety).
Use with caution in dogs with a history of seizures. Seizures have been reported in dogs receiving fluralaner,
even in dogs without a history of seizures (see Adverse Reactions and Animal Safety)

The top RIGHT side of the PDF gives you "Percentage of Dogs with Adverse Reactions in the Field Study"
Looks like total tested "in the field" were 321 dogs (not a great sample in my opinion, but I'm no doctor, nor diagnostician).

*Personal Experience*
With any topical or drug introduced .. I had a 13 year old basset .. fine most of his life, then one dose of a TopSpot Hartz product and he collapsed a few hours later.
I'd used it before with no problems, same size, same dose, same treatment regiment 2 weeks after a bath, etc.
He went in for IV and watch .. came back to normal .. the Vet blamed the "off the shelf stuff" as inferior and lots of problems with the quantity of actual active ingredients (none substantiated in my research).
I lost him about  year later when he was  14 1/2, he had undiagnosed cancer.  3 large masses showed in xray and a biopsy proved what it was.

*personally* I think his system was already starting to be weakened .. the dose of the product (pyrethrin based) which his body was able to tolerate before, didn't that last time because it was weakened.

Had my vet at the time screened him for cancer, they may have caught something early, maybe not .. I dislike that vet, not just for this last incident, but 2 others prior .. I then found out about their sister office on the far side of town .. and started going there instead.. a difference of night and day in treatment (me and my boys) and when the time came to help one go, it was a beautiful place to do so.

Anyway.. Good luck with reading up on the info.. let care and caution be your guide!

-Robert
Indentured to Silas & Dixie Sue
Formerly slave to Riley, Henry, Franklin, Doc, Sally, Stretch, King, Pepper, Beowulf, and many others I was too young to know.