[Dailydrool] Aimless nighttime outdoor visits

Meckler, Michael meckler.12 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 15 13:35:13 PDT 2018

I agree with all those who suggest bringing this up with the veterinarian, but as a coping mechanism for both human and hound, I have found that nothing focuses the mind of the hound on taking care of outdoor tasks outdoors as being outdoors ON LEAD.

Yes, it means the human must be dressed to be outside, but by preventing the hound's body from wandering, the hound's mind may also be prevented from wandering from the reason why we came outside in the first place. The human could just stand in place in the back garden, and the hound, after perhaps trying to scent or thinking of some task other than going potty, finally comes to the conclusion that, YES, WE'RE OUT HERE TO GO POTTY and finally takes care of the deed.

Again, this doesn't get to any underlying cause of why a dog that previously got through the night now feels the need to go outside ‎in the middle of the night, but it might prevent having to clean up a potty once the hound comes back indoors.