[Dailydrool] Gardening with Bassets

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 04:37:46 PDT 2018

Last year the trio figured out how to climb under the 2 foot chicken wire
fence around the veggie garden. So the DH has been working on improving the
fence so that all my work wouldn't be for naught. He put in more posts in
the fence so there wasn't as much sagging. Then he put plastic edging all
around. Then he reinforced the chicken wire with clothes line about 6-8
inches high. I wasn't really sure why he didn't put it lower, but he is the
engineer, not me. So I kept my mouth shut and thanked him for all his hard
work. Browyn figured out how to climb under the fence in under two hours.

Then the DH transplanted 5 banana trees from the front yard to the
backyard. They are these really huge bulbs. Well, Beauford destroyed 2
right off the bat. Browyn chewed one up and spit it out, then she went to
the garden to dig...her favorite activity. Bugsey was having a blast just
wandering through the yard and sniffing everything until he saw that he was
missing out on destroying the banana trees. At this point, he dug up the
entire bulb (which are really huge, over a foot in diameter). Then he ate
it. He was having a blast and I made him come in when it got dark. I told
him if he wasn't careful, he would throw up. I guess I should have warned
him sooner. He threw up overnight in his crate, which he shares with
Browyn. I cleaned them up as best I could with waterless shampoo, but we
are in dire need of a proper spa day over here.

Now the DH is going to have to run more clothes line around the garden
fence.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess
timandjenmartin at gmail.com