[Dailydrool] Rearranging the hound chairs

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at gmail.com
Mon May 7 04:42:33 PDT 2018

Last week we took Horton to the trainer and I started talking about Cleo,
our pack leader who never should have been a pack leader because she is too
insecure and bossy.

When I told Susie, the trainer, about Lady Jane, our first pack leader who
ruled with an iron paw covered with a velvet glove, Susie told me, "You
can't teach that." Evidently Jane was just a natural. Every foster who came
to our home was accepted, but everyone knew to obey her slightest look.
Jane made newbies obey all the rules, even the ones she didn't obey.

How I miss that girl, though she was a terrible imp, getting into all kinds
of trouble she'd never have allowed any other dog to get away with.

Anyway, Cleo needs more "structure," according to Susie. So she has lost
her couch privileges. Not that Clee has wholly given up on trying for the
couch, but she does get down on command. This morning she even saw me and
jumped off the couch. She knows the large brown chair, which has always
been her second-choice hangout, is hers now. If we can just get her to go
there regularly...

Meanwhile, I'll have to convince Dexter that the couch is now safe for him.
He's taken to lying under the dining-room table. Maybe as Cleo gives up her
couch claim and if I make Horton move entirely to the other chair, Dex will
decide to consistently claim the couch, but he defers to the others so
completely, it's hard to make him do that. He took over the couch for a
while yesterday, but I'd really like it to be his to command--as long as he
shares it with me or Drew.

I feel as if I'm rearranging the furniture in my house and am not yet
completely satisfied with the way it fits. But Cleo has certainly been less
bossy lately, and no one is attacking Dexter anymore. The additional peace
has been a real boon to the household. Who knew that a few minor changes
could do so much for the pack? And by helping the pack, it also helps me.

This training thing may be worth its weight in gold.
Pam, furniture reorganizer in the Dashing Basset household