[Dailydrool] How I broke my elbows

Val lbrewerzwick vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 15:59:19 PDT 2018

Hi Val S.,  I am pleased to say that the hounds had nothing to do with my fall. (I could imagine a scenario with basset road bumps that might produce a similar fall) I was coming out of a store with no hounds in tow, a paper grocery bag in my arms. The area in front of the store was a mite peculiar.  There was sloping asphalt for about six feet, then a six inch drop-off (sort of like a curb) then six more feet of sloping concrete before the actual curb and the street.  I did not notice the first drop off, and either stepped out into air, or put my foot down with only the heel touching terra firma and pitched forward.  (Imagine setting a rigid wooden clothespin standing up on a ledge and then just flicking it off). the grocery back went rocket and took off on its own.  I landed face first on the concrete (I have a cut and black eye); my bust landed next (an unusual place to be all bruised, but great padding—kept me from broken ribs), and my elbows landed third (I was holding a sack and didn’t have time to get my hands out).  My legs and feet escaped untouched.  they were in the air.  All things considered, I am a lucky woman only to have fractured my elbows instead of breaking my neck. and the silver lining is—Now I have developed great sympathy for what tyrannosaurus rexes with those little short arms must have felt. I am discovering all kinds of talented ways to use my feet and teeth.  And I get a pass on all kind of chores.  I am still doing dog walks with the girls, but my husband accompanies me and holds all three leashes.  I should be all better in 4-6weeks. aloha.