[Dailydrool] nails, pills, Bassets et al

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 00:46:55 PDT 2019

My theory. My theory only from years of cutting nails is that
1. Bassets have huge nails. Big feet, big nails tough as....ah....nails.
Hard to cut and if the clippers are not razor sharp creates a big pressure
they do not like and
2. Vets and Techs tend to grab those short, fat legs and PULL, and it damn
(oops) well hurts! I was always careful to lift not pull and I have to say
that it sometimes helped and sometimes not. So much for theories. And
3. Some people have a "gift": our head groomer did and dogs who would tear
your throat open in a heartbeat stood and let her cut their nails. Who
knows??
Pills: the one pill I have found universally despised is Tramadol and if
you have ever taken one you know why they are nasty nasty vile nasty
tasting. Bitter. Nasty. Vile. To dogs, whose palates are undimmed by
smoking and mouthwash and other things that destroy taste buds over the
years, they must be even more vile and nasty than they are to me. Be happy
you are not pilling cats. As difficult as our Bassets can be they finish
way ahead of pilling cats, which is an art form. I learned how but in the
process acquired thin scars up and down my forearms from flailing little
claws.
Wrapping them like Furritos helps but the real tool is surprise and an iron
grip. I am sorry to say that dogs may be tricked any number of times but a
cat only once.
My experience only others may not agree.

MomPerson to Merta Lou and Doc