[Dailydrool] Itches

dee- diane ellathebasset at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 17 05:57:59 PDT 2019

Bella is allergic to just about everything including dust mites and pine.  Great!  We live surrounded by pine trees.  We took out all the pinestraw and put in mulch to help somewhat.

Bella is on Apoquel.  If you do decide to use this, once you get the prescription use Chewy Pharmacy.  The cost is about $1.68 per pill.  We to autoship.  I have checked every company there is to get the best price and was thrilled when Chewy started their pharmacy.  It is over $2 for 16 mg everywhere else!

There is a shot available  I cannot remember the name since we only used it once and since it did not work immediately, the Dermatologist said not to bother.  It is expensive.  But our regular vet thinks it is better than apoquel (if it worked) for the dog.

Bella gets baths weekly with Malasab that we leave on for 10 minutes.  When it is bad out with pollen, the vet would prefer twice a week.  (too bad she is not here to do it)  She gets Ketoconazole 1/2 tablet 3 times a week for yeast infections and 16 mg apoquel daily.  (also in bad months a pill and a half) and allergy shots once a week (I can give her the shots) The serum is special to her allergies.

We have been doing this for over 2 years and it works.  Bella's former owners wanted her put to sleep because of her skin condition.  Happy for us the vet refused, they took her to a shelter who called Carolina Basset Rescue.  The rest is history.  And yes, I said Dermatologist!!!!!

Good Luck!!  It is a never ending battle, but all worth it!

Diane Ezell and Bella
Ella Louise ATB