[Dailydrool] Pills

Mary Wilson mary.gabriola at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 06:36:00 PDT 2019

We have been fortunate with Paddi B, in that she rarely needs pills. When
we shared life with dear Billy B Basset, we gave pills in a folded cheese
slice, or a half slice. Processed cheese seals well around the edges with
finger pressure. It’s a bit like making a wonton.

Ben is right about cats. It’s more art than science. The only exception was
our extraordinary cat Opus, long gathered to his ancestors, who would just
take pills. First time I had to pill him I dropped to me knees with a knee
on either side of him. Thought I could hold him that way, I guess. I put a
hand under his chin to gently tip his head back, and advanced with the
pill. No word of a lie, he opened his mouth and swallowed it. That was our
standard procedure ever after.

Simba, our Formosa Mountain Dog, is currently taking meds for a scary
immune-mediated anaemia. He is very leery of pills. Best thing I have found
is a bit of cooked liver (we poach it in water for him), sliced partway
through with the pill inserted, and presented cut side away.

Mary, with Paddi B, Simba, and Clio the cat
--
Mary Wilson
(250) 325-9020