[Dailydrool] Almost a basset Mom again

Sandy W sanwhe47 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 21:22:00 PST 2019

I have been a lurker for the past 3 years after we helped our last basset, Dora who was 14, to the Bridge. At one time we had 4 1/2 bassets which was wonderful. We have 2 long leg stray dogs who found us so we are not dogless nor do I ever hope to be. We are getting up there in years and our health isn’t what it use to be so we are not adding more family members. Then our mail lady called and said she had a basset cross who desperately needed a home because she knew we had had bassets. I immediately thought it has to be fate and told her we’d love to give him a home.She said he was in bad shape; nearly starved and living in a dirty cage. She had been trying to get him from the owner without success and was about to try to steal him. She worked thru a neighbor to get them to give him up. She brought him here and even gave him a bath for us. He has a basset body and legs with a beagle/basset head and ears. He is tri-colored with some brindle mixed in. He has a double dew claw on one back leg and a single dew claw on the other. Quite a mix.We took him to the vet the next day. Luckily he didn’t have heartworms and appeared healthy other tha being half his desired wt. He got his rabies shot. The vet thought he was 3-4 years old.We named him Benny. He was the sweetest dog ever and very smart. DH who was not very happy with me for taking him was immediately smitten.Now the really sad part. He was doing great for the first 12 days and than he wouldn’t eat so I made an appointment with the vet. About two hours before time to leave I noticed he couldn’t stand on his hind legs. The vet kept him (Friday) and Sunday morning he called and said the paralysis had spread and he couldn’t lift his head. It was an adverse reaction to the rabies vaccine and he had to send him to the Bridge or he would suffocate; there was no cure.We are all devastated; it’s been two weeks and I’m still crying when ever I think of him which is often. It seems so much worse than losing our furbabies who we knew had a long happy much loved life. Benny had such a poor life and he deserved so much more. Sorry to share such a sad story but I know Droolers will understand.SandyWWillie, Val, Bea, Dora, Benny and Thumpy the pit/basset ATB
Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad