[Dailydrool] Grieving dogs

Angelika angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 27 19:24:06 PST 2019

When we lost Peanutty due to her brain tumor this summer, Gator truly grieved. He had just turned two years old and had known her his entire life. While it took a long time, they did develop a close relationship. Though I think he loved her more than she did him LOL and while he has his mother here he really grieved for Peanutty. He moped, he did not want to play. He was not interested and lively as he generally is. This went on for more than a couple of weeks and helped me decide to bring another puppy home when her breeder offered us one. Sidney was just what he needed. From the day we picked her up, he perked up and was back to being our happy boy. A heart wrenching thing he’s been doing is jumping up on the windowsill where there is a picture of her and her collar hangs on the picture. He jumps up and smells the collar and then goes on his way. It’s only within the last week that he has stopped doing it daily.
This was the first time that I‘ve ever seen a dog grieve to such a degree. It was heartbreaking.

Angelika
Sent from my iPhone