[Dailydrool] Wow – I didn’t know!

Tim Mayer tcm541 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 10:01:58 PST 2019

Wow – I didn’t know! My perfect boy is a barker. Reggie is about as perfect
as anyone can ask for. Or so I thought.

So I got a call Wednesday. From the landlord. Unhappy neighbors. Reggie is
barking when I'm not home. (So how long has this been going on, and why has
nobody told me sooner?) It's hard for me to believe the dog's barking is in
the "nuisance" category, since he's in the house when he's barking, but a
complaint is a complaint. The landlord isn't going to come by to actually
determine if the complaint is fair or not.

I guess it's after I leave for work. Like between 6 am and 7 am, during the
mobile home park "quiet hours". So now I have to remedy this pronto. The
park management has evicted FOUR dogs in the last year: mine will NOT
be added to that list.

I'm getting a pet monitor camera and app, and I'll try monitoring him.  I
can talk back through the camera, but I doubt he'll listen and obey when
I'm not visible. (He IS a basset, after all.) I'm also going to keep them
in a room on the other side of the house. But since I don't know WHICH
neighbor complained (management won't tell me that...) I don't know if it
will help - I might be moving him CLOSER to the person who complained. But
at least I'll be able to determine (and record!) how much barking is really
going on, and maybe figure out what's triggering the barking too. It's
probably boredom or loneliness, and that's hard to fix. He's not alone -
Dexter is there, but Reggie wants me there too.

If I have to, my boss will let me work a later shift. I don't want to go
that route, because I like my early starts and long afternoons home. But my
boys are everything to me, so I'd live with that. (If the barking is after
8 am the complaint is less of an issue unless the barking exceeds the
county regulations.)

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know - I don't want to be at
risk of losing this dog - he really is (almost) perfect.

Tim