[Dailydrool] Basset communication skills

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 07:07:03 PDT 2019

One would think that after over 11 years of being owned by a Basset (or in my case 5 Bassets), that I would learn to understand the meaning of the “whine”.  Gallagher, now 11, is quite vocal, and demanding.  Is it “I want to go out on the porch” or “I need a snack, now or I will perish” or “he’s too close to me, move my bed”?  I finally figured out that if I give him a treat, it doesn’t really matter what he wanted originally.
On a more serious note of communication, I’m trying to figure out Guinness’s whining.  I think its boredom, not pain. He is still paralyzed in the rear.  We enjoyed 2 weeks of him back walking, but that’s over.  He is peeing “purposefully” again so we stopped having to use the catheter.  He just can’t make it out the door to pee, so the belly band is a huge help.  I now have his “pads” sent via amazon, so people in the store don’t think I am incontinent!
I think of Deb Winchester whenever I use that magical solution KOE!  It’s the one thing I can add to my rug cleaner and floor cleaning solution to kill the smell.
I think we’ll be heading to Eddie’s Wheels for a fitting.  If I can get him to stay outside for a bit, I’ll be mopping less!

Sent from my iPad