[Dailydrool] The Drool

Riche Churchill ninedogs04 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 8 20:35:01 PST 2019

Just goes to show you that it's true: Great minds think alike! Last night I was moaning and groaning to myself about how few DD posts appear lately and trying to think of something to "jump-start" the sort of back-and-forth communication and "threads" there used to be.
Perhaps it's simply that it's time has come and gone, but I hate to think that. Have Facebook and Twitter lured most away? I do neither, so don't have a valid opinion about them, but "rumor has it" that both tend to be full of arguments and nasty exchanges. That's not something I find appealing. It must also have its advantages, but am not sure the good would outweigh the bad, at least for me.
Meanwhile, here's my pitiful attempt to start a thread:
When you get a puppy or new dog, boughten or rescued, what inspires your choice of a name?
Are you the type who likes to use "people" names? Does something about the dog cause a name to spring to mind? Are you the literary type or prone to the use of famous-names (movie stars, singers, politicians, crooks -- that might fit a lot of our Bassets! -- characters in novels, poems or theater?
Once you choose a name, how many variations of it do you use, if any?
(I am reminded of the cartoon where two dogs meet and one says, "Hi, my name is Spot. What's yours?" The reply is: "I think it's Nonobaddog.")
And, do you prefer one syllable or two?
Do you routinely add one or more words to the name when you're feeling especially loving or when angry or exasperated? Do you sometimes add your own last name (I do) when dealing with stubbornness? (I don't know why I do that.)
Riche Churchill
ninedogs04 at yahoo.com