[Dailydrool] Naming your hounds

Alisa Garbrick ilvbassets at aol.com
Sun Mar 10 05:25:51 PDT 2019

I'd like to comment on Riche's question about naming your hounds.  Our first hound was actually a beagle I rescued from the SPCA and named Katie, next was my first basset named Molly aka Molly Moo  who we got as a pup and I named her after a beagle I once knew named Molly who was so sweet.... then came Maggie aka Magnolia also as  a pup (this was in 1997 before we were online and knew about basset rescue).  After we acquired Molly & Maggie we found out about BROOD and promptly volunteered to foster.  Our most well known foster was a big, handsome lug named Benny who later was adopted by Barb Baumann and renamed DA MOOSE....  then later we became foster failures back to back when we adopted Watson then Buddy.  Watson came to us with the moniker BONUS (thanks to Diane Morgan for naming him upon intake :-) so we renamed him Watson because I thought it was a perfect name for a little basset boy. Buddy came to us as Buddy and we kept the name and it turned out to be quite perfect for him because he was indeed my buddy and my first heart dog.  After we lost Molly, Maggie, Watson & Buddy in 2008 in a terrible 9 week period (heartbreaking beyond anything you can imagine).  We found ourselves totally hound less and since our previous 4 were all seniors when they passed we opted for another pup which was our sweet Bentley who came to us at 11 weeks old.  Bentley was named because I loved the name and it seemed a regal and fitting name for a sweet red & white hound baby :-) then came a call from the vets office saying there was this sweet little hound girl named Sadie living in her owners back yard under a tarp so knowing that rescue would not take in a dog that the owner may not even give up we worked with the family and Sadie came to live with us. She was 3 at the time so we kept her name and it suited her.  Then came the day we were running the adoption booth at the Ramble and unbeknownst to me while I was talking to adopters and getting dogs adopted my hubby spent the day watching one of the foster dogs, Charlie who was about 5 months old at the time.  About a week later hubby says we have to have him. Ummm....okay, lets make that happen.  So again, we kept his name Charlie and adopted him.  We later lost Bentley & Sadie a few months apart and were leary of bringing in a new kid but ended up taking a pup from a breeder friend who we named Chauncey because I loved the name and had a relative named Chauncey.... no reason but the name was different and I loved the old fashioned sound of it, Unfortunately Chauncey wasn't a good match for us and went to live in a home he loves.  Last but not least is Clementine Susannah who was named My Darling Clementine because again, the name was a little old fashioned and I loved it so we now have Clemmie Sue & Charlie with us hopefully for many many years.

 Alisa Anderson Garbrick Basset mom to Charlie & Clementine   And Angels: Molly, Maggie, Watson, Buddy,  Sadie  & Bentley