[Dailydrool] Riche's name thread

basset911 at aol.com basset911 at aol.com
Sun Mar 10 18:48:17 PDT 2019

Back when I used to name hounds (that was thousands upon thousands of hounds ago) I had fun with it.Cocshall was so named as I had been denied a pup from club members, rescue etc and had to buy one from a puppymill type breeding situation.  Northridge Earthquake happened before I got to pick her up, and my paternal grandfather had died. I named her in honor of him, knowing it would irk him to no end.
Barnaby Legs Chidester aka Devil Dog was so named by a room mate, and after his evil ways I added the aka.  Miss that boy something fierce!
After decades in rescue, now I only veto names (several volunteers on this list have pouted over my veto of a name.  Fat & Stinky being one veto).In keeping a file on each hound that has come into Daphneyland one can only imagine the nightmare of Daisy, Lucy, Maggie, Roscoe, Rocky, Beauregard, Winston, Duke, Buford, Buster, duplicate files.  Our vet office additionally asks for unique names as we often have to correct files & systems.If a hound comes in with a name they know, we keep it.  We do also add something to it.  For instance a recent hound from a shelter Roscoe.  We have hundreds of Roscoe files.  He is 13 and has always been a Roscoe. His owner has been institutionalized and is in hospice, family dumped him at the shelter and bulldozed his house.  We won't change his name, he will be Roscoe Ventura. (Came from Ventura shelter).
Have a "Copper" coming in tomorrow.  He has been through 3 homes on Craigslist and is 2 years old.  No shot records.  We have asked the volunteer who is transporting to name him.  This volunteer is pretty good at unique names.  lol.I am fairly convinced he will find one that fits.

Dawn of the West
Basset Rescue Network at Daphneylandwww.daphneyland.comwww.facebook.com/daphneyland661 269-2682 Public message line661 269 2781 Private direct line
Daphneyland is open to the public on Saturdays & Sundays from 11 - 4. Volunteering, visiting, meet and greet and bellyrubbing.  Adoption apps must have been screened and approved before a hound can go home!Please visit our website and consider a monthly donation to our Sustainability Program!