[Dailydrool] Tardy in the name game

LYNN and LINDA FERRELL ldferrell at msn.com
Wed Mar 13 21:07:59 PDT 2019

After getting caught up on the fun posts about names, we can’t resist adding our three, all rescues of one sort or another.

We adopted Annie from a want ad seeking a new home for a basset. She was a year old and her young family was moving in with parents who already had a dog and didn’t want another. We felt she should keep her name since she was losing everything else she had known. We also called her Annie Fannie Sugar May, Farfel, Petunia and a dozen others. She taught us so much about bassets and we were fortunate to share nearly 15 years with her.

A few months later we adopted a six month old rowdy girl from rescue who came with the name Pokey. She was anything but! We tried to keep a similar sound (oo-ee) and changed it to Zoey. She adjusted quickly and already knew her new name after a few days in foster care where she had been introduced to it. We also called her by so many names: Zoey Bo Boey, ZoZo, Zodog, Z, Dollygirl, Redmoose and Sweet Potato to name a few. She was a therapy dog and was with us for nearly fourteen years.

A few years after Zoey joined us, neighbors found they were expecting twin girls and asked if we would mind if they named one Zoey, as this was a name they had long loved. We said the more the merrier!  Zoeygirl and twin sister Lucy visited Zoeydog often and when Zoey-the-basset died, Lucy-the-girl thought our next basset should be named Lucy. And so she is! We adopted her from rescue and her name online was Samantha which had been issued post-shelter where she had come in as a stray. So we didn’t feel bad about asking that she be called Lucy and she came to us well acquainted with this name. She too has had a bunch of secondary monikers. Lucylu, Lucius, Lucifer, Lucywoo, Swoosh, Trubs, Babygirl and more. She is our sweetheart and even with a boatload of names, comes to them mostly when she jolly well feels like it. She is a basset!
Linda and Lynn