[Dailydrool] Gumbo and the chair

Sabrina Nicholls brii at sprynet.com
Mon Mar 18 17:00:19 PDT 2019

Gumbo loves kids. I adopted him when he was 5 and don't know his
history, but he loves all kids. Gumbo tutors third grade. Four students
read to him once a week, 15 minutes each, for an entire semester. They
all improve significantly, and it is very rewarding. We use an unused
classroom. Today, after all the students were finished, I had to put
away books, stickers, blanket, etc. Instead of holding Gumbo's leash,
which is required at all times with students, I put his leash loop under
a chair leg while I packed to leave. My back was to the open door, but I
heard some young children shouting, "There's a dog in there!" Soon,
there were lots of excited voices outside the classroom, and I heard
someone say "The chair!" I turned to look. Yup. Gumbo was at the door
with the chair dragging behind him. And there were about a dozen first
graders trying to pet him. He licked as many faces as he could reach.
Gumbo loves kids.

Sabrina Nicholls, Gumbo and Ellie