[Dailydrool] basset xrays

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 19 13:11:44 PDT 2019

Hi all, Dale here,
Oh I learned this the hard way! BEWARE the basset xray ...... bassets look like cartoon characters on xray with space between joints where other breeds don't have them.  I remember when I first had Snoopy xrayed at age 5 .... they told me the bridge of his hips was about to collapse and that and a host of other problems would mean the dog wouldn't last the year.  Well, Snoopy could fly at that point and did for a number of years after.  He's been down in the back, twice, but he's back up and running and has been for a couple of years.  Snoopy is going to be 14 in June!!
Don't believe a word they say about your bassets xray unless
1)  They are comparing the xray to a different xray of the SAME dog and are telling you things are changing2)  They are pointing to a facture/broken bone/blown disc/lodged foreign object ...... ie something obvious3)  They are accustomed to reading a bassets xray
Enjoy your girl.  Certainly most bassets do eventually get joint problems and a supplement is a good way to help their joints.  I use triple max.
Best,Dale