[Dailydrool] Names

Nancy Schaefer jonquil4 at charter.net
Thu Mar 14 10:12:25 PDT 2019

The hound of my childhood was a sweet bagel we named Napoleon, Nappy for
short.  He was such a good boy.  I didn't get my first basset until I was
quite grown up and bought a house with a yard.  He was registered as Charles
Darling, but I called him Casey, a name often heard in my family lore. He
was my heart dog, but I lost him to bloat at 11.  Then I got a little red
and white buppy and named him Toby against the wishes of my husband who had
a close (human) friend named Toby.  Too bad, I said - this little boy dog is
a Toby.  Later in his life, we got Hadley from Toby's breeder.  Hadley came
with his call name.  He was a 2 year old show dog who had to be neutered due
to a scrotal hernia (ouch), which ended his career in the ring.  He was a
stoic and noble hound.   After both Hadley and Toby passed, we waited a
while, then found our current hound.  He was a five-month-old heathen who
was supposed to be a show dog but turned out to have loose shoulder joints,
so needed a home.  His nominal call name was Lucky, but we morphed it into
Tucker.  He is still something of a heathen at almost 8, but he is totally
loveable.  He would like to have a little brother.  I am considering.

Thanks for starting this thread.  It is nice to see posts from so many
longtime members of the Drool!  I date back to the days of Caruso - maybe in
the third year of the Drool?  Many years ago, now.

Nancy, mom to Tucker, Hadley atb, Toby atb, Casey atb, and Napoleon atb