[Dailydrool] word of warning?

Betsie ebm at fenrir.com
Wed Oct 9 08:14:02 PDT 2019

Last week we had to send my brother's 16-year-old dog to the Bridge.
Afterwards, my brother mentioned to the vet that he had grabbed onto her
to keep her from walking through and spreading the diarrhea. (She'd had
an accident in the house) She'd had a couple of strokes... was still
extremely functional but a wee bit "away with the faeries". She got
scared and bit him on the arm.

When the vet heard this, she told him that they would have to test her
for rabies.

This is (well, was) a dog the vet had been taking care of for over 14
years, she was up-to-date on all her shots and, up until about 6 months
ago, when her arthritis flared, was extremely athletic. And my brother
is a very conscientious owner.

There were two options. Send her head to the state or all of her to the
state university. The state university would take a sample from the
appropriate section of  her brain and send it on to the state. They
would forward her body to the crematorium. [guess which option we chose?!]

Results came back negative. DUH!

I don't know what the rules are in other states but here in our nanny
state, if a dog bites someone they must be tested for rabies. [I would
think the (live) dog would be put in quarantine for a period of time]

I could understand this if the biter was a stray, had a delinquent
owner, showed ANY signs, etc. etc. etc. But for a loved and well-cared
for pet?!?!?! C'mon.

It just added "insult to the injury".