[Dailydrool] walking the houndage

LOIS LEMA lemalois at verizon.net
Wed Oct 16 13:22:39 PDT 2019

currently I only have 1 hound, dexter, but in the past I had 3, buster brown, miss sally and lowla.  I also dog sat and would frequently add in my friend's 2 bassets moo and willie and an occasional berner sophie or rottie, brad and then ivy a st Bernard, pointer mix.  it was a handful.
I just kept everyone on their own leashes (6 ') .  we would go to the dog park every day.  I would onload everyone from my big van and we would settle.  then we would walk en masse to the gate.  if there was pulling, they knew we turned around & went back to the van and went back home.  period.  end of story.  they quickly learned to walk nicely.
pulling is a game started by the dog.  walking alone there is no pulling...it's only when a leash is added in does it start.  once a dog pulls, I quickly stop & turn the other direction so it's a game for them to keep up..if they don't know where they are going they can't pull to get there.  once that stops basic pulling then I would work on "stop"
we looked like the clown car but managed to get in/out of the park with little or no issues..made thos people with wiener dogs on prong collars look a little silly :-)