[Dailydrool] Tailless bassets

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 18:31:34 PDT 2020

Okay. Time for my turn I guess. My Bubbles never stopped wagging her tail.
She developed a hematoma on the end of her tail. Vet said to leave it alone
and not let her wag her tail. Yeah. Right. Do, I am on the phone with my
mother. Bubbles turned around in the chair and when she sat down the
hematoma exploded and shot blood across the living room for 48 inches. I
know because I measured after I stopped the bleeding. Hubby was in Canada
and I knew he would say I was exaggerating. So I measured. It was like the
tip of her tail opened inside out. So, I sprayed it liberally with iodine.
Then I put a ton of gauze around it, and followed with vet wrap. Then I sat
with her and wouldn't let her move her tail until it was time for bed. Next
morning, I called the vet. He had me take her in to see him. He prescribed
antibiotics, and wanted to schedule surgery to amputate her tail. He said
it would never heal. I asked to try first. I took her home and shaved her
tail mid way down. I repeated the gauze and vet wrap. Then, I took an
aluminum and foam finger brace and put it over the end of her tail. I used
a lot of gauze and vet wrap to keep the splint on and cushioned enough that
she didn't kill everyone and everything when she wagged that tail. It was a
total pain, but I got it to heal. I kept doing it until it was really good
and healed. Then I quit splinting. She died with an intact tail.