[Dailydrool] Senior bassets

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 15:44:12 PST 2020

Our Shadow is 14 and will be 15 in March. Several months ago she started
having episodes of shaking, pacing, pacing, pacing and acting terrified. We
actually ended up taking her to an emergency vet on a Sunday because we
were convinced she was in pain. They gave her a good once over, did lab
work while we waited and decided, for an old girl, she's in pretty good
shape. They decided that she probably has some arthritis but they felt that
the bigger problem is that, at her age, she's probably having some
cognitive issues. They started her on Gabapentin twice a day along with
pain meds when needed. She is still taking the Gabapentin twice a day and
it has worked pretty well. She will still have the occasional episode of
shaking but it happens very infrequently. Mary, I sure hope you can find an
answer for your Paddi B.  Every day with our senior hounds is a gift and
every day they have at this age should be a good day.

Wishing you all a Happy and healthy New Year!

Jane, Toby & the Houndettes
Shadow & Suzy