[Dailydrool] Lumps

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 07:48:11 PDT 2020

Beauford is the king of lumps. I have had so many removed it is ridiculous.
Now he has a heart murmur and an irregular heart beat, plus cancer. So, we
will not be removing any more unless we absolutely have to. There is a sac
that lines the lump. So, even after they open up and drain, that sac can
keep it from fully healing. He had one like that on his hip and we did have
to have that one removed. It would not heal no matter what I did. Having an
open oozing, draining sore that absolutely will not heal is not a good
thing. Browyn is also lumpy. She had one that kept getting really tight and
ready to open. I found I could drain it as needed with a syringe and
needle. I had to drain 1cc off of it every week for about 3 months. The it
just dried up. She has a tiny knot because that sac is still there. It is
about the size of a pea. Having had a few that opened and then had to be
removed so we could have healing, I just now keep an eye on them. If they
start to feel tight, or are growing by leaps and bounds I drain them. I can
drain them with a needle or sometimes I have to use a scalpel if more
toothpaste like. I always have the vet check lumps so we KNOW they are
lipomas. I don't mess with the ones that are all fat. And, I am not
recommending people with no experience take a scalpel to their dogs! When I
worked in the hog barns I had to lance abscesses all the time and drain
them. I also did hernia repairs on baby pigs. So, I have some experience. I
have the blesssing of the vet to do this. PLEASE get your vet's blessing
before using a scalpel. A needle to drain one before it bursts is pretty
safe if you are comfortable with that. Also for the record, Beauford and
Browyn sit or lay perfectly still when I do this and do not even scream.
So, I am only messing with the lumps that the pressure is causing them pain
any way. I also flush any cyst out that has been opened. It really is a
mess and not for the faint of heart, but it saves me a bundle of money.
Keep in mind I express anal glands myself as well.

Jennifer with Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess