[Dailydrool] Basset crawling under houses and decks

Linda Gardner hockeyphans at verizon.net
Mon Jun 1 08:03:20 PDT 2020

A few years ago we adopted a basset named Copper (ATB). At 75 lbs. he could squeeze himself under our chainlink fence without even digging. He pushed through two screens. While at the lake we had a makeshift barrier to keep the bassets on the deck. He figured out how to stick his head through the rails, pull backwards, and move the gate enough so he could escape. We staked the fence (no luck), put cement blocks where we thought he'd get through, and finally put boards around. That finally worked. He was also food obsessed. He broke a baby lock and stole all the good and goodies from a kitchen cabinet. The food was strewn all over the living room. We got back from Christmas Eve service to quite a mess. He kept doing that, no matter what the barricade, until I took all the food out and reorganized my kitchen. Upon showing him what I did, he just looked at me as if to say, where's my snacks!

He earned the nickname Houndini.

Linda currently bassetslave to Hank.