[Dailydrool] One functioning kidney

Sally Russell sally at slokr.com
Sat Mar 14 10:00:21 PDT 2020

Our rescue, Nellie, age 5 was having recurrent UTI's.  Our vet had an
ultrasound performed which showed her bladder was normal as were all other
organs.  However, her right kidney was calcified and most likely not
functioning.  He does not believe her UTIs were a result of that.  Her
kidney functions have always been normal.  He said often this kidney
calcification is found accidentally on an ultrasound.

He took a clean specimen directly from her bladder and we should have the
culture results back in a week or less.

She is now doing well and hopefully does not have a UTI.  She was put on
Royal Canin SO for urinary treatment and she loves it.  Nellie,
fortunately,   loves anything and everything.

We were panicked at the thought of one functioning kidney but our vet
reassured us that dogs can live well with one good functioning kidney.

Has anyone else had this experience?  We have had our lovely, sweet Nellie
for a year and a half and none of the vet reports prior to her adoption
showed the kidneys.  Even her foster Mom, who had her for 5 months knew
nothing about this...

Sally Russell