[Dailydrool] Basset crawling under houses and decks

Sally Russell sally at slokr.com
Sat May 30 10:01:53 PDT 2020

Our Nellie, age 5, who we adopted from Carolina Basset Rescue, loves
crawling under decks.  Last summer, when we rented a cottage in Asheville,
NC, she "disappeared" one day from the fenced yard.  We frantically called
her and could not locate her, fearing she had somehow gotten out on the
road that led to a major highway,  we ran around the yard with a piece of
turkey and that brought her to the edge of the cottage. She had crawled
under the cottage where a piece of the wired fence underneath had become
bent.  The wonderful owner of the cottage, came over that day with boards
which he placed all around the open space.  He told us that in the 15 years
they had rented to families with small and large dogs, no one but Nellie
had attempted that feat.

Now today, in the fenced in yard in which Nellie has enjoyed for the two
years she has been with us, she "disappeared" once again.  We found that
she had crawled under the very shallow space beneath our deck.  She had
never done that feat before.  She is a smaller basset, 40 pounds, and could
barely come out of that space.  We have called our handiman and he will
come over next week and either place wire or wood all around our very large
deck.

We have had bassets for over 30 years but have never encountered any
behavior like Nellie's.  She is an extremely sweet, easy going girl who
loves everyone.  She was found walking around the streets of Asheville with
her two sisters when the Humane Society picked them up and sent them to
Carolina Basset Rescue.  Then she lived with a lovely foster family for
five months who had been caring for six basset rescues.  At this point, we
adopted her.

Is this normal basset behavior or just "Nellie behavior"?  Anyone else have
this same experience?  BTW, we are renting the same cottage in Asheville in
August but we know that the boards are still around the cottage, thankfully.

Sally and Bert Russell and Nellie the Escape Artist