[Dailydrool] Nellie, and basset lumps

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat May 30 21:54:45 PDT 2020

Nellie.  We have a notabasset,IPo, in addition to our two bassets.  IPo is 75% pitbull and 25% “too mixed to tell” according to DNA tests (wow, was that ever an informative test and wise investment of dollars. Lol). she looks like the RCA Victrola dog, Nipper.  IPo LOVES to crawl down into dirt holes and under structures like woodpiles, sheds, houses,porches. Ipo has a pre-adoption-by-us history of physical abuse back when she was a pig hunting dog, then feral dog for a period of time. Clearly IPo feels safe and secure when she is furrowed under things. As a result, IPo is always dirty like “pig pen” in the Charlie Brown cartoons.  As Ipo has become more comfortable with humans (she’s been with us over three years now) she crawls under things a lot less, but if Ipo wants a really sound sleep she still gets under the shed under our house. For IPo, it is an ingrained safety thing. if a thunderstorm is brewing, I make sure she is in the house. Otherwise she will be under the woodpile until all of the rin has stopped. Don’t know if any of that could be true,for Nellie.
Secondly. Basset lumps. The older Mila gets, the more she has. There is a medium  sized fatty tumor on her chest. Vet says leave it be.  there was a big cyst on her back which drained away, but it always still has a scab and sometimes it bleeds if the scab is scratched off. (shouldn’t it have healed completely—it’s been this way for months), and now there are little hard beebe sized hard lumps a few places under her skin (back, shoulder, ear). They don’t seem attached to anyt(ing and I’m pretty sure no one shot beebe’s at her.  I am making a vet appointment to check them out. everything here has been at a standstill except for emergencies for several months, as I’m sure it has been where all of you live.  Anyone have any thoughts about these lumps (aside from the lipoma) until we get a vet appt.? I’m not sure how old Mila is. Maybe 8 or so? thanks in advance. Val of Hawaii