[Dailydrool] Paddi B Thanks you all for your help

Mary Wilson mary.gabriola at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 06:53:26 PST 2021

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the messages here and the emails. Because so many of us
have houndies of a certain age, I'm going to compile the notes I've
received and post them here in a separate post.

Paddi B is doing reasonably well. We are giving her metacam, which is an
anti-inflammatory, at bedtime. When we do that, she is much better. She
woke up a couple of times last night, but just wanted to go out and then
went back to sleep. No whining or pacing, and no appearance of distress.
The day before we gave her the anti-inflammatory in the morning (it's  a 24
hour dose) and she had a dreadful night. One swallow doesn't make a summer,
but I'm still encouraged. We also took an extra-long walk yesterday, and I
have a sense that that might have helped. If it ever slows down in raining
such that we are not all drowned, we're going to add additional walks
throughout the day. (Getting me out the door can be challenging in the
Pacific Northwest in January. Miss Basset, and her companion the Formosan
Mountain Dog, are still more reluctant.)

One thing about her that others might find helpful -- she has always been
attuned to physical communication rather than listening to "commands." (ha.
Commands. Paddi. Just ha.) A light push on the shoulder directing her
towards the living room gets her out from underfoot in the kitchen, for
instance. So now if she seems confused or upset, I'm responding with extra
firm cuddles, especially rubbing her shoulders and the base of her ears.
She relaxes and makes her happy basset purring noise (raised by cats) when
I do that.

Thanks again for all your help. I love knowing that you are all out there,
even though the circumstances can be challenging for everyone.

Mary, with Paddi B Basset