[Dailydrool] Snoopy

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 5 10:35:06 PST 2021

Hi all, it's me,
Well, the old boy's been gone almost 3 weeks now.  It's much quieter around here.  A lot less dog hair too .... Snoopy was always throwing his coat.
About a week ago, Chomper, who never howls, was in bed with Greg (I was still up) and as they drifted off to Sleep Chomper let out a classic howl ... lasted almost a minute ... something he's never done before .... we thought that must be Snoopy telling us he was finally settled at the bridge and the week long rager had finally subdued enough for him to let us know.
Snoopy was a force of nature.  Our neighbors would hear him bay and come out of their homes to greet him.  After he got his wagon, he got reacquainted with many long time neighbors who live too far for him to walk on his own
The dynamics between Chomper and Samantha have changed some, but not much.  They love to cuddle and will lie in a dog pile together.  They don't have "spats" .... but Chomper will try to push Samantha around.  Mostly he shoves his cold snooter up into her privates if he wants something she has (place on the couch, attention of a human, toy) which is effective but also plenty rude, however not if you're a basset hound apparently.
He taught Samantha Jane to howl and boy oh boy does she ever.  She has a GREAT howl which she can moderate and sustain for a LONG while.  Samantha's chest is spreading and filling out ... she was emaciated when I pulled her at the shelter, but she's only 3, and like other dogs in this condition I've pulled it seems her body is still wiling to complete it's growth pattern, even delayed by the lack of a proper diet.  As her chest expands her howl has gotten even better.
I miss Snoopy, I miss them all.  I know that I have always done my very best for my dogs, I love them more then I love myself, as do we all.  I am now, and have always been INTENSELY grateful for this list .... I arrived bewildered and confused a decade ago having pulled an adorable basset hound at the county shelter who immediately decided to take over and try to run my household.  I asked for advice and was immediately instructed to COMPLY WITH SNOOPY'S INSTRUCTIONS.
Seriously though, this list and the members on it, some departed, some de-listed, some still here, have carried me on their shoulders through I can't begin to recall how many terrifying vet visits where I was LITERALLY posting to the list IN THE OFFICE and got back advise, encouragement, drool and a shoulder to cry on ... you guys must have saved Snoopy's life half a dozen times.  At least.  And the vet did it at least half a dozen more.
Oh, that boy.  I came across an old photograph of him standing on the kitchen table ... with paws that had just run through the yard and G-d knows what all else ... and I smiled.  I guess that means I'm a basset lady now.
More later from Dale