[Dailydrool] Basset-less

Angelika angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 16 10:04:26 PST 2021

I am 54 and my current crew is 1, 3 and 5 years old. Plus a 6 year old cat.
God willing I’ll be into my mid 60s before they start to leave. I hope to never be without a dog in my life, but I have considered that size may become an obstacle in the future.
As far as Basset rescue events, I think all of them welcome Beagle and Basset mixes.
Many are open to allowing other breeds as well.
Now the most important piece of advice I can offer, is that you have a plan in place in case something happens to you and you can’t care for your pets anymore. It’s OK if you don’t have a trust-fund to leave behind for your pets. But you absolutely must put it in writing or at the very least verbally let someone know what should happen to your pets if you can no longer care for them.
Twice now I have been in a position where I had to decide where to place a dog after their owners passed away. One of the dogs was an easy decision, there was a contract and the dog went back to the breeder. For three other dogs I had to make the decision of where to place them. In both cases their owners trusted me and my final decision. But it’s tough. It would’ve been much easier had something been decided ahead of time.
Take a couple of hours and write out pertinent information about your pets. Include the veterinary name and phone number. Any medication that they take on a regular basis. Any information that somebody would need if they were to take care of your pet but don’t know anything about them. Write down what food they eat and how much. Contact information for the person that will care for your pets if you cannot. Put this information in a folder and clearly mark it. And then put the folder somewhere where someone might easily find it if you can’t tell them where it is. Keep it near the pet food or near the leashes. Because that will keep somebody from having to dig through your things trying to find this information.
Take a photo of each pet and write the pets name on the photo and keep that in the folder too. Any major change, or every six months or so update the information in the folder.

Angelika
Sent from my iPhone