[Dailydrool] Kara: Dealing with rescues/adoption experiences

MARILYN Briggs marbriggs at comcast.net
Fri Jan 29 14:17:41 PST 2021

My first attempt at adoption. Application fine--ready for home visit.  M.M. shows up with her two bassets. Going to leave them in her truck--I insist they come in the house. She thinks my yard is small (until she goes out back--cul de sac and back much bigger than front.)  Her bassets getting along fine with my Corgi-Golden mix.  THEN, the one guy lifts his leg and pees on the corner of my couch. M.M. about had a heart attack, apologizing profusely. I am like--whatever, not the first time. I was approved.  I wanted a younger dog because I had lost two older ones in a six month period. Waited awhile and didn't hear. Called one day and was told they had a one year old male who got neutered that day, did I want to pick him up from the vet? Well, sure. So Bosley the Brat arrived. And he really was. I went on to foster many of their dogs and even was on the board for awhile. Had 5 boy bassets at once and walked them all together--  So I say just go for it.  And remember to keep in touch. Rescue people are busy and the barking dog gets the attention--doesn't hurt to offer to foster or transport from the shelters or whatever, either. I currently only have two because that is my city limit. Didn't used to matter, but my wonderful neighbors sold the house to a Karen from California and my dogs can't even walk on her sidewalk--so I can't get anymore. Probably a good thing, actually. I am getting too old to walk 5 at once.

Marilyn Briggs