[Dailydrool] Rescue Woes

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 20:27:31 PST 2021

Rescues are, for the most part, wonderful. When I worked for the
Veterinarian I was the liaison  between the strays that arrived at the
Hospital and the Rescues. My son also briefly fostered a couple of dogs
from a rescue where he lived.
Unfortunately not all rescues are created equal and I am about to say
something that may land me in hot water but here goes anyway: the Rescues
that proved to be unreliable, uninformed, badly run and almost worse for
the dogs than no rescue at all were all small, one or two-person rescues
with too many dogs and not enough room. These are often all-breed rescues
and the people who run them especially anxious to foster out dogs.
My son was given a cat-killer in spite of having specifically notified the
rescue that he had cats. The cat lived but the subsequent Vet bills were
not fun. When he returned the dog (instantly) the woman tried desperately
to get him to take a different dog because "The Humane Society is coming
tomorrow to look at the place and we are way over the limit."
Another rescue placed a two-time face biter in a family with small
children. Wanna guess?
Stick to the medium to good sized rescues who seem to know what they are
doing. If you think the place is hinky go someplace else no matter how
badly you think the dogs need you. The dog should be up to date on shots
and the Rescue should know Something about his temperament.
I bought all my Bassets and Belgians, but I was showing. Merta Lou is not
exactly a rescue, she is more like a re-home. She is not for showing. She
was terrified at shows and she was born into a show kennel. Even now,
having been here for several years. a Judge would have to chase her around
the ring and trap her in a corner to put his hands on her. (and she is much
better than she was.) We loive her passionately.
MomPerson to Merta Lou and Doc