[Dailydrool] Homechecks and interviews

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 29 23:51:36 PST 2021

Hi Kara,Here in the UK I volunteer for several rescues, both basset and all-breed. I really urge you not to get hung up on the whole interview/homecheck thing.
It varies a bit from charity to charity, but the basically we want to meet you first to have a chat about what you want and what you can offer. Different dogs need different homes and our top priority is our dogs. So Mrs Smith might want that cute little terrier and feel she can offer it a great home, but I know it is high-energy, completely untrained and has skills Houdini would envy. Mrs Smith, at 81 and walking with a stick, will not be the best person for that dog, but she would be perfect for another one. Rejecting her application for Fido isn't rejecting her as a good owner.
Likewise, I have rehomed plenty of dogs with people I don't particularly like. They are good dog owners even if I don't want to spend time with them.
And the homecheck. Listen, this is NOT a white-glove check. All we want to see is a secure garden, a place for Fido to sleep and just have a chat, offering advice about things which may arise. I have turned down someone who had a 3ft fence next to a main road who wanted to adopt a greyhound (and whose neighbours had cats), but in all other ways she would have been a good owner. Likewise I have rehomed dogs to homes that are horribly untidy and borderline dirty, but the people were great dog owners.
What I'm trying to say is it's not personal. Find out what the rescue requires in general terms - such as fenced yard, dog not left alone for more than x hours etc, and if that's all in place go for it.  I would add that if a suitable, basset-experienced owner came to me offering to take a bonded pair, I'd bite their hand off.
Good luck
Sally, with failed foster Hettie