[Dailydrool] Elizabeth and aging

Karen Cannon klcannon at telus.net
Fri Jan 15 22:27:51 PST 2021

Elizabeth...my husband and I know what you are going through trying to decide whether or not to get another basset.
I first joined the DailyDrool twelve years ago, when we got our last basset, Lucie. My cousin who lives in California was already a member and recommended I join the site. I have really enjoyed all the advice and wonderful stories from all members.

In our 50 years of marriage, we have had 3 and 1/2 bassets. ( One was a basset/beagle cross).  All of them were great bassets. We lost our Lucie when she was 10 to mouth cancer about 2 years ago and it was devastating.
And....while I wanted another dog, my husband thought we shouldn’t.  We are both in our late 70’s with various physical issues.  The DH has arthritis in his hands and shoulders and I also have arthritis and a bad knee, so getting another basset which might weigh 55 to 60 lbs. would be difficult for both of us, especially when taking the dog for walks, never mind lifting one.

Finally after 2 years and with Covid complicating our lives and having to remain socially distant from family and friends, we decided to get a dog, but a small-medium sized one.  But, we waited until the Fall to start looking.  We live in Vancouver, Canada where there are very few suitable rescue dogs that are medium-sized.  Also, because the US/ Canada border is closed, we could not cross to pick up any dog.  We didn’t want a very small dog nor a big one, so I spent some time on shelter websites looking for a medium sized dog. We both love hounds and having had a bagle (Beasset?) before, someone forwarded a website to me with beagles for sale.

We are now slaves to a 13 week old beagle who is quite an energetic little guy.  He’ll be 25 lbs when he’s mature and should be just right for us.  Now, if we can survive training, we’ll be fine.
If any of you Droolers know of a list serve for beagles, please let me know.  I will keep reading the Daily Drool because I still love basset hounds and want to read all about them.
Thanks to all of you for the advice and stories about basset hounds in the last 12 years. Looking forward to more.
Ahroos from Basil (the beagle) to all the bassets.
Karen
and HP, Roscoe, Winston and Lucie - all ATB

Sent from my iPad