[Dailydrool] Dog tie downs etc.

Pamela McQuade plmcquade at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 16:01:22 PST 2021

Horton Theveryfearful hates riding in the car. I have a sling for the
backseat of my car because he HATES a crate--when we first got him, he had
a broken leg and had to be crated for six weeks. If you put him in a crate,
he barks the whole time you're traveling. At first, seeing me in the
driver's seat while in the backseat stopped that. But now things have
gotten worse.

Problem is that he has figured out how to escape from the tie down that is
supposed to hold him in the sling area. The last time we went to the vet's,
he was carrying on the whole time we drove there. When I went to get him
out of the car, he was lying on his back in the footwell. I think he steps
on the seat belt thingy that's supposed to hold the tie down and releases
it. He has done this with two different brands of tie downs. Then he gets
into the footwell, which seems to be his "safe place."

If I didn't have the sling, he would be lying in my lap or in the front
seat, airbag danger or not.

We have tried medications to make him calm, but in his anxiety he seems to
blow right through their effects.

Any solutions from the Drool?
Thanks,
Pam McQuade, Horton's food slave and driver