[Dailydrool] When I joined the Drool

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 04:43:11 PST 2022

Oh my goodness! I feel like such a newby compared to some of you. Despite
having had bassets as an adult starting in 1991, I never heard of the Drool
until We had Bugsey. His whole litter went to personal friends of the
breeder. I was so blessed to have met her because she was Beauford's, who
was born into rescue, foster mom. I met all her personal dogs when we
picked out Beauford. He is the only rescue where I actually had three
puppies to choose from. Sharon's bassets had the most wonderful
personalities I had ever seen. They were bigger, and heavier boned than any
basset I had ever had besides Elwood, but they more than made up for it in
temperament. Anyway, we had a "family reunion" of the puppies when they
were 4 months old. Everyone there kept talking about the Daily Drool. So, I
joined as soon as I got home. That would have been in July of 2010.
Ironically, I was able to get the love of my heart despite being the 2nd to
the last pick. Bugsey was the runt of the litter and only got to be 53
pounds. Several of his siblings went on to be show dogs. As many of you
know, it is hard to be competitive in the ring with a male that small. I
had absolutely no desire to show. So, I was able to get the most
inquisitive and biggest snuggle bug of the litter. Despite my short time on
the Drool, I have met so many friends who are there for me through thick
and thin! I have always preferred the email drool. We tell longer tales on
here. We really get to know each other and our dogs. I am not a big cry
baby, but some of your dogs going to the Bridge have almost brought me to
my knees and left me crying. Hubby totally doesn't understand, but he
doesn't have to. Back in the Fall, I actually became a moderator for the
Daily Drool on Facebook. The only advantage to that one is that we can
share pictures. People are so much meaner to each other there. If you are
on the Facebook version, you probably have noticed that I don't post much
at all. I will respond if it is something that is kind of my expertise and
50+ other people haven't responded. I find it frustrating when it comes to
medical questions though. So many people respond with the most gastly
advise! Obviously I am not a vet, and I don't know everything about all
conditions; however, I am a bit of an expert on allergies. I have severe
allergies and asthma myself. God has granted me 10 bassets, all with
allergies! All of those 10 have fallen into the moderate to severe
category. I also moderate a Dog Allergy and Information and Support
Facebook page, which is much more satisfying to be honest. So, I recognize
how dreadful the advice is in that category. I haven't made a single close
friend there that I would call and check on or email personally unless I
met them here first. I do miss how active the Drool used to be. I get it.
People are busy. Facebook is faster. Please consider posting more often. It
doesn't have to be earth shattering. And, to all the dear friends I have
made here, thank you! I really appreciate having you in my life even though
I don't tell you that often enough!

Jennifer with Browyn the Fairy Princess