[Dailydrool] another voice chiming in.

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 23:03:57 PST 2022

I joined the Drool, I think in 2002. we had decided to get a dog again after having lived only with a cat and huge iguana for a few years after our last dog, a Scottie, passed away. the health care company (HMO)  in Rhode Island where both my husband and I had both worked for twenty years was first bought by a larger company and then abruptly closed down entirely.  the larger company sold off the assets of our HMO and 300 health care workers found themselves scrambling to find work in a state too small to re-employ them all. My husband said, “If we have to move, let’s really move, and give our son a taste of a different part of the country.”  bill was recruited to set up a program in Hawaii and we have lived here ever since. the iguana had to find a new home in Rhode Island, as iguanas are prohibited in Hawaii. but the cat traveled across the country with us. the cat missed the iguana a lot (they were best friends). The cat never much liked other cats, so we decided to get a dog. we googled “mid-size dogs that usually get along with cats” and the Internet suggested we get a basset hound or a beagle. We looked in the paper and saw that a military family needed to rehome a young basset due to their deployment, and we got Bo (later Commander of the Pacific Basset Feet) the next day.  We discovered the Daily Drool shortly after acquiring Bo.
Bo had terrible separation anxiety and was a basset case of anxieties. the cat hated him.  so we ended up getting Bo his own companion basset hound, Harley, who turned out to be his littermate brother, also being rehomed from the military due to deployments.. Harley had flunked out of six previous homes by the age of two due to even more severe separation anxiety. And so started our basset adventures. we made good friends with Kim and Jim Slagel, also Droolers who had adopted a third brother from the same litter from the dog pound.
now, years later we have again two basset hounds, Mariah, a Daphneyland alum, and Mila, another navy hound rehomed due to deployment.  we also have a pit mix who just sort of moved in with us after a tragedy in the neighborhood.
when this list dwindled, we thought perhaps no one was here anymore and we joined the Facebook Daily Basset Drool where he often post pictures of our crew.
I am delighted to see so many old friends returning here. what a wonderful surprise, and I am glad to be back too.  Val Brewer with Mila, Mariah, and IPO.  On Facebook I am Valerie Lew (my first and middle names—believe it or not, there are a lot of other folks named Valerie Brewer).