[Dailydrool] Barney

Terry Pettett tmpettett at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 26 15:13:38 PST 2022

So we rehomed  what is our sixth Basset Hound in October. He has some problems as he is six yrs old and a little bullheaded! But, he is the most loving towards people, has settled in quite well. We are working on his shortcomings which are slowly improving. One problem we have, he wants to go outside two to three times every night! We had him checked for UTI's all is good there! He was left at home by his previous owners for ten to twelve hours a day!!!!! Ignorant people! We have been working on getting him use to grooming and nails and ear cleaning. My wife has been chosen by him to be "his person", which is okay as with our first five Bassets I did most of the nails and hair trimming of the toes. But what we are really having trouble with is the nightly awaking to go outside. Previous home had a doggy door out to a ten by three foot run!!!!! In his new home with us he has a totally fenced in yard to do as he wises as we keep an eye on him when he is outside. He does really good when called and coming. Would any of you Basset folks have any ideas as to what might work to stop the wake ups in the night?? We really do not want to use drugs with him, just think it's not the correct thing to do. He had enough things we managed to correct. We also think he might have been mistreated in certain ways such as teezeing and pulling his ears and paws. He has got now so we can rub his ears and hold his paws without him becoming upset! Also think he was not socialized very much! Terry & Mary ann and Barney