[Dailydrool] Being Ignored at the Vet's

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 14:55:08 PDT 2008

I didn't answer at first because my initial response to the time lapse
between the arrival of what should have been considered a medical emergency
and the time your Vet managed to get his sorry....self into the room so
enraged me that any response was not even close to being acceptable to the
Mod Squad.

Not only do I have a big mouth, I have a biiiiig temper when it comes to my
dogs. I have worked 20 yrs for Vets and if someone at our place pulled a
stunt like that their head would be outside on a big stick. Doc would not be
someone you would want to be near for several days.

I would have walked out of the room -- either door will do, why be picky--
an made my presence and my needs known very clearly to anyone in the
building within hearing distance. I am not nice when I think my dog is
getting the short end of the stick.

I would let them know-- and anyone else in the Lobby that my dog was in
trouble and that you fully expected medical assistance ASAP. You can also go
out the other door in the exam room into the Clinic itself-- they REALLY
don't like this--and tell whoever stops you that you want a Vet in the room
immediately. Sound angry. Actually, you should BE angry. If they aren't
going to listen to you up front, rest assured they will hear you when you
appear in the FORBIDDEN ZONE. (It isn't that they are doing anything bad
back there. It's just that their insurance usually doesn't cover clients in
the back of the Clinic.)(Plus, if they are working with a really bad dog or
cat, you don't need to be in the way.)

When you make a stink in front of other clients, however, the office doesn't
like that. It doesn't look good. It's terrible PR. It makes the other
clients start thinking about the last time THEY didn't like the service,
because you can bet if they weren't paying attention to you, they have not
paid attention to others. Your mouth is your best friend when things like
this happen. Sorry to be confrontational, but it's true.

MomPerson, still boiling on your behalf.