[Dailydrool] Corn on the Cob

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 04:41:19 PDT 2008

A word about corncobs which I suspect everyone on the Drool knows:

No.

I don't care if your dog has eaten 35 corncobs happily and with no problem
and thinks they are the world's most wonderful treat. I have watched 5 dogs
die in my yrs at the Vetspital because they ate corncobs which got lodged in
the intestine. Two of the dogs were Bassets, one was a repeat offender.
Surgery was too late to save any of them.
Once in the intestine, they swell, they do not digest. Period. If your dog
is really lucky, they pass. If he isn't.....you are looking at the very
least a major Vet bill and a very sick dog.

Corncobs in my house go from heat to mouth to garbage outside in the can.
They make no stops on the counter, in the sink, in the indoor garbage. I do
not expect my family to adhere to this so I personally escort every corncob
to the garbagecan.
I have seen what they do.

MomPerson to Mitchell, Zelda, Nigel, Llewis and Cooper