[Dailydrool] Sniffing and UTI

Brenda Waldrop dedanann1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 19:56:16 PDT 2009

A while back it was all over the news about some dogs ability to sniff out
cancer.  I completely believe this.  Elphaba, my three year old, is always
sniffing at the left side of Copper, my Sr's, mouth.  He has a cancerous
tumor in his mouth on that side, slow growing and non-metastasizing, but
cancer none the less.  She "smells" right at it all the time.  She also
tends to sniff at his left ear, which is constantly getting infected.  I can
always tell when an infection is coming on because she'll start sniffing
that ear.

Even stranger is that she always sniffs very determinedly at my daughter's
back right behind the left kidney, almost like she's trying to find
something she lost in there.  This happens several times a day and
seemed very strange to me for a while.  At 15 my daughter has had 5 kidney
stones on that side and they now suspect she has something wrong with that
entire kidney!

A vet told me once that a Basset can smell a drop of blood the size of the
head of a pin, under six feet of solid concrete, 10 years after it was put
there.  With noses that sensitive, it makes perfect sense that they could
sniff out anomalies in their furfriends and humans.

Brenda- momslave to Copper and Elphaba- both master sniffer's!