[Dailydrool] Biting dogs/hitting dogs

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 15:48:57 PDT 2011

I would like to contribute to this discussion but my viewpoint is a little
different and I am a bit leery.
That said, I do not believe hitting dogs being held by an owner, on a table
being examined, in grooming, or in the Vet's office or grooming
establishment is appropriate 99% OF THE TIME.
There is a 1% leeway here and never in front of an owner never never never
never no matter what the dog has done, did, or plans to do, NEVER.
Does this mean Techs and Vets smack your dog around? No.
The only time I have hit dogs has been when they made a serious and
concerted effort to do me serious harm. A lunge at the face in close
quarters after being warned repeatedly (You know "cut it out" "settle" "Oh
what a GOOD DOG")
I know a Basset who bit one of our receptionists quite badly when she leaned
down to put a kennel leash on her.
I know a cocker who bit the groomer very seriously in the face (inside the
cheek even) when she leaned down to put a leash on him. (He eventually bit
the grandkid and was put to sleep.) This same cocker bit me three times up
the arm in the amount of time it took me to put my hand in the kennel and
yank it out.) Neither were hit.
Dogs attacking are unbelievably fast. Cats are faster.
I can count on one scarred hand the number of dogs I have smacked hard for
biting. Two of them are my own. It is difficult NOT to react when a dog
lunges for your face or connects with your hand.
Most of the time, patience and calmness wins. Not always. Some breeds (not
named here) are really really difficult and apt to bite with enthusiasm and
dedication.
All I can say is,
If someone smacks one of my dogs I want to know what happened BEFORE I kill
the offender. There may be mitigating circumstances. Or not.

MomPerson, with scars to prove my theories, to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and
Cooper