[Dailydrool] Help getting an old man to use a ramp

Nicole Haase nicole.haase at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 21:15:12 PDT 2011

I have an 11 year old old guy who is getting a bit unsteady on his feet. So
far, nothing major has happened, but you can tell that my Flash gets stiff
or sore. We have a half step out our back door to a porch and then four
steps down to the yard. He has sometimes stumbled going down the stairs, so
that he kind of face-plants. Going up, he sometimes just stands there and
stares at me, like he knows he can't do it and I have to go out and boost
his butt up to help him get up the stairs.

So, okay, I went out and bought him a ramp - it's not a permanent one, but a
its hard plastic with carpet on it and it telescopes. I have it anchored in
place so that it doesn't move. Money is a bit tight, so I bought this kind
so that I can take it and use it to get him in the car, too, if necessary.

The problem is, I CANNOT get his stubborn butt to you use the ramp. His
final go-out of the night late last night was especially rough for him, so I
forced him down the ramp this morning. He fought me the whole way and ended
up basically sliding down the thing. He's a big boy, and he fought me so
hard, I couldn't get him to go back up it after the traumatic experience of
going down it.

So does anybody have any suggestions on how to get him used to the ramp? I'm
worried that if I keep forcing him, he's going to injure himself in his
fighting me and sliding around on it.

Or is there something other than the ramp that I can do?

--
Nicole Haase
nicole.haase at gmail.com
414-708-3542