[Dailydrool] Snoopy, OEBE checking in

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 3 16:46:12 PST 2012

Hi all, Snoopy here,

It's official.  I have heard from Roland, Duke of Ears and I have been inducted
into the OEBE.  I'm thrilled.  I ran straight into the kitchen and made off with
a container of humus (garlic humus, anyone want a kiss) and a whole bag of baby
carrots to celebrate.

Last night we had cow.  MY cow.  The rest of the family feels the cow should be
shared but any cow is MY cow (including the stuffed one that goes moooo).  MY
cow.  I was making that crystal clear when momPerson handed me a carrot bone.
Carrot bone, coming through with my carrot bone, everyone out of the way ...
middle of the living room floor ... carrot bone.  It takes me about 5 minutes to
eat a large carrot.  I make a heck of a mess but I do love my carrot bones.
Cyrus won't eat 'em.  His carrots have to be baby carrots which are tiny and
already peeled, because he's a big baby.  Anyway it turns out 5 minutes is long
enough for momPerson to carve a roast without me trying to drive everyone
(including her) out of the kitchen so that I can get at MY cow.

We went to the dog park yesterday.  Only regulars were there yesterday.  I did
my meets and greets and sniffed the perimeter and then ..... Cooper the border
collie showed up.  Cooper is like my brother Cyrus, he is all about the ball.
And me, I love to run.  So I spent the next half an hour running at top speed
while shouting AAAAHHHHHHRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO as loud as I possibly could
chasing after Cooper who was chasing after the ball.  Seriously.  Half an hour.
Back and forth and back and forth and back and forth the length of the dog park
for half an hour as fast as these little tiny basset legs will carry my 75 lb
self.  I had my shots last week.  The vet says I am NOT overweight.  I am HUGE.
But not fat.  I am a rock like my brother.  I am also as big as Cyrus when we
are both laying down.

Next Wednesday is my first gotcha day.  What a difference a year makes, eh?
Just last week a stranger at the dog park asked momPerson if Cyrus and I had
been together since we were puppies.  We play together ... some ... and if I
offend anyone with my Ahrooooos Cyrus will come over and stand between me (the
offender) and the strange dog (offendee) until the offendee decides he's not
offended after all.  Cyrus is alpha at our dog park.  Always has been, so that's
that.  It's not really the fact that we play together or that he backs me up,
it's more the way we touch each other when we're close.  If you have multiple
dogs or bonded pairs you'll know what I mean.  If you don't then I can't explain
it.  But momPerson says its kind of rare for two adult male dogs to bond when
one was 6 1/2 and has been in the home for 5 years and the other was 5 and
skinny and scared and unsocialized (who me?) and just showed up out of the
blue.  But, we did and we do.

After all, Cyrus is my body guard.  And believe me, I need one.....MY ball (even
if you brought it)  MY cow (even if you cooked it)  MY treat (even if your
momPerson is offering it to you)  ... mine, mine, mine.  Oh, and this is Cyrus
if you doubt it.

More later from Snoopy OEBE