[Dailydrool] Two Topics: Of meeting Droolers and Blind Dogs...

Sally Russell sally at slokr.com
Sat Jan 5 07:46:17 PST 2013

Sue and Dave Autry are a real bonus to being on the Drool.  They happened
to post something months ago about a vet clinic in the Melbourne area and
that lead to many emails back and forth as they were so very concerned
about our Pixel and her loss of sight.

We finally met last week when we were at our condo in the Melbourne, FL
area and Pixel and Browser practically followed them into the elevator when
they left as they liked them so much.  Bassets really know who loves them.

Browser has been blind since six (he is now nine) from that nasty disease
glaucoma.  However, from almost the start, he has been upbeat and has not
shown any change in his personality.  We tried to save the one unaffected
eye for a year with four different drops but our eye vet told us it was
inevitable that one would go too.  Browser never acted depressed and we
would keep our depression under wraps and try to remain upbeat for him.

Pixel lost her eyesight in one eye a year ago after a bout with another
nasty disease, pancreatitis.  This disease is on the rise as well and we
have always fed our dogs low fat, organic food.  Hard to say but she had
just had the rabies shot, required every three years in FL.  Our eye vet
said because pancreatitis is an inflammatory disease, it can affect the
eyes.  Pixel is now 12 but she and Browser are unrelated.  We are now
trying to preserve as much sight as possible in her "good" eye with four
different eye drops and our wonderful eye vet.

So 2013 has brought us new "basset" friends and we wish all Droolers a
wonderful year!

Bert, Sally, Pixel and Browser