[Dailydrool] Dehydrators and sweet potatoes

Jennifer Martin timandjenmartin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 09:54:52 PDT 2013

If you enjoy making healthy treats for your hounds, a dehydrator is very
helpful.  Like Michele, I have a fancy dehydrator complete with a fan, and
thermostat.  It has nine trays about 18 inches square.  I use it for making
treats for my troops all the time.  I don't make chicken jerky because two
of my three are allergic to chicken.  I do dehydrate cut up beef hearts.  I
did liver once, but the DH put his foot down and said never again!  I also
make these patties with ground hamburger and veggies all ground up in the
food processor.  They adore these, but they have to be flipped and wiped
off often.

I do veggies and fruit the most.  I have a mandolin slicer and a food
processor.  Having evenly sized pieces in the dehydrator is very important
if you want everything to be done at the same time.  I do sweet potatoes
after boiling or baking them a little.  I think they are sweeter that way.
 It takes a little work to guess at getting them cooked the right amount.
 You want them to change to dark orange, but you still want them to be firm
enough to slice.  The amount of time this takes really varies with the
shape of the sweet potato.  My guys like "fries" that I make with the
mandolin slicer.  I also do apple, pear and peach slices.  I dip the slices
in a citric acid solution to keep them from turning brown.  I also cut
excess cherry tomatoes in half and dry them.  They also like dried zuchinni
and other summer squashes.  I also do green beans.  I do blanch both of
those first.  If it is a bumper year for strawberries I will do some of
those as well.

Jennifer, momslave to Beauford, Bugsey, and Browyn the Fairy Princess