[Dailydrool] Sorta agility girl

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Tue May 13 20:09:23 PDT 2014

I forgot to mention something about Sydney and the agility course --
everyone who's lost a dog probably knows how memories suddenly pop up
that you hadn't thought of in years --

Admittedly, the agility course wasn't a full-blown professional one, but
it had most of the stuff. What makes Sydney's feat most memorable (now,
as the past comes flooding back) is that she was out there all by
herself. She had watched a few dogs and their handlers go through, and
while we busy talking to someone she ambled out there and moseyed
through the tunnel, hopped over a jump or two, went on a see-saw (she
was a little annoyed about the other end dropping to the ground, but it
didn't deter her) and went over a final jump. I assume she was following
the scent of the other dogs... It did take her a little longer than
allowable, but the applause was loud at the end, and rightly so.

A little while ago, the rest of our pack had their 9 o'clock bark attack
and I was struck by the absence of that well-known Basset sound, which
is like no other (except maybe a bloodhound) and how un-menacing they
all sound now. A bunch of sissies. I don't feel nearly as safe without a
Basset in my house! For the first time in over 55 years, that bell is
silent.

Riche (who will try to not blather again, but won't promise...)